Gatekeeping the Gods: The Ultimate Act of Hubris

Icarus flying too close to the sun (free stock image)

Those who've read Greek tragedy are probably familiar with the idea of hubris- "excessive pride toward the Gods," according to Google. This concept bothered me for a long time- isn't pride both healthy and essential? Then one day it hit me like a ton of bricks. At its core, hubris isn't about pride- it's about arrogance. 

Hubris is an act of arrogance that actively harms others. Put simply, hubris is "playing God." (My personal theory? Greek tragedy focuses on kings because leaders are the most likely to commit hubris. It's a warning about the limits of power)

Think, Vladimir Putin ordering the war on Ukraine. Think, anti-vaxxers spreading deadly misinformation on Twitter. Think... basically everything that Trump did during his four years in office. 

Oh- and here's an example that you see everyday in online spaces. Pagans gatekeeping people from the gods. 

(*Quick note- this post refers to Hellenic Polytheism, not closed practices such as African or Indigenous religions. If you want to learn about what it means to be a closed practice, check out this video here)

1. "This god doesn't want you" or "You weren't CHOSEN"

Dear stranger online... thanks for letting me know. You sure have a lot of authority for someone whom I've never met in-person. You claim that Pagans need to be "chosen" by their Gods, but really you're just attempting to frame yourself as special. If I have concerns about a specific deity, I'll take it up with a trusted spiritual leader. In-person. 

2. "You're not *actually* worshipping this god... you're worshipping an evil spirit!!"

Is it possible for evil spirits to masquerade as Gods? Maybe, but it's not my biggest concern. The Gods are powerful enough to shield Their newbie followers from all that B.S. Again, if I'm worried then I'll do my own divination and talk with my CUUPS group. 

3. "You can't work with deities until you're an advanced witch!"

OHHH how this misconception makes my blood boil!!! The Gods do not belong to witchcraft, and you do not need to be a witch to worship them. People with no magical training have worshipped the Theoi for thousands of years. Stop fearmongering. Devotional polytheism is a thing, folks. 

4. "You can't worship (insert Greek god) because you're the wrong race/culture/age/ability/sexuality/gender"

If you see this, run away screaming. You might be dealing with a TERF... or a white supremacist. Folkism has no place in our religions. 


At the end of the day, only the Gods have the right to turn away followers. (I have some interesting stories about hearing that it's better for me to stay away from Hades). That said, this rarely happens. Most deities are happy to receive any worship they can get.

By gatekeeping the Gods, we not only deprive Them of new followers... we commit an act of hubris. So if you're having doubts, take it up with your Gods and the people you trust. No one online has the authority to bully you out of your faith. 

Stay safe, my friends. Cut through the bullshit. 

Happy New Year,

Rose E. ๐ŸŒน

Comments

Popular Posts