5 Tips for Surviving the Holidays as a Pagan Teen πŸŽ„


The holidays are hard for Pagan teens. Especially queer, Pagan teens. There, I said it. Whether it’s forced church attendance or that one relative who insists on using the wrong pronouns, it’s hard for us magical people to make it to New Year with our sanity intact. 

But it’s still possible to have a blessed Yule (even if you’re in the broom closet). After 4 holiday seasons as a Pagan teen in an interfaith family, I have a few tips. 

1. Set boundaries 

I was once an Episcopal altar server (shocking, I know). In 2019, a church leader cornered me about volunteering at Christmas Eve Mass. Next thing I knew, I was carrying a giant crucifix down the aisle. I had a hiccuping fit in the middle of mass, almost tripped over my white robes, and spent a lot of time reflecting on my Pagan identity and feeling sorry for myself. 

I’m pretty sure I could’ve avoided all that if I had just said “no.” 

If you can, find small ways to assert yourself. Ex: you might not be able to get out of church attendance, but you can still ask a family member to say the meal blessing for you. And remember to stay safe if you’re in the closet. 

2. Practice self-care 

Self-care is ESSENTIAL during the stressful holiday season. Fortunately for us witchy folks, self-care is often tied into our spiritual routines (herbal baths and meditation, anyone?). Unfortunately, the holidays are a major disruption to every. single. routine. possible. 

Remember that it’s okay to take time for yourself. No family gathering is more important than your basic mental health. Especially when those gatherings come with a side of homophobic comments and religious baggage… 

Queer folks, you know what I mean. 

3. Maintain your spiritual practice 

Last year I had to pack up all my altars and give up my room to elderly relatives. It wasn’t fun. I don’t think I would’ve survived the holidays if I hadn’t continued my prayer and journaling practice. 

During times of stress, it’s tempting to move spirituality to the back burner. But if Paganism is one of your support systems, then right now it’s important ever. 

You don’t have to devote hours to your gods and magic. In fact, that’s a recipe for burnout. But five minutes a day makes a real difference. 

(Sharing a cup of warm milk with my beloved Two Goddesses) 

4. Sync to the rhythm of the seasons

Winter is a time to hibernate, and this is the hill that I will die on. For the majority of human history, we adjusted our lives to the darkness and the cold. We slept more and spent time more by the fireside. 

This is NATURAL. But the chaotic Christmas season demands that we participate in nonstop holiday cheer. Busy holidays + a desire to wind down = seasonal depression. 

This winter, take some time to unwind. You don’t always have to be productive (no matter what capitalism tells you). It’s natural to rest and adjust to the rhythms of the earth- Irene has a great post about it here. She says it better than I can.  

5. Incorporate Paganism into your favorite traditions 

Christmas is hella Pagan, guys. Everything from Christmas trees to December 25 to Santa Claus has its roots in Yule and Saturnlia. So don’t be afraid to turn your favorite traditions into a celebration of the earth and the gods. It was our holiday first! 

Have a magical season, 

Rose Eleusis 🌹

Comments

Popular Posts