Paint and a Pinch of Audacity Brought My Statues to Life

 I've always been... underwhelmed by my Persephone statue. The 8 inch Korē has no identifying traits or symbols- not even a pomegranate. It's a beautiful piece of sculpture but it could pass for any other Greek maiden.

I started collecting statues of the Theoi when I was thirteen. Some of them are nicer than others. All are prized possessions- with one problem. They're not painted.

😢

Okay, hear me out. Our society loves the idea of whiteness in Hellenic sculpture... and Hellenic society, which is a rant for later. But the Greeks and Romans painted their statues in vibrant colors. Picture your favorite ancient sculpture. It was probably painted before time wore away the last traces of pigment. White/monochrome ancient art is a myth fueled by modern aesthetics and poor preservation efforts. 

After searching everywhere for a better Persephone statue, I decided to modify my own 8 inch Korē. I've wanted to try this for YEARS but was too nervous that I'd ruin the statue. Well, the results were spectacular. I used a metallic color pallet of acrylic paints to capture that bronze Classical vibe. Persephone has never appeared to me as a ginger, but copper colored hair felt right for this project. The little crown is an amethyst ring that my wonderful girlfriend gave me (I keep it on the shrine when I'm not wearing it).

Once I'd finished Persephone, it was time to paint Demeter. 

Before the big project, I already adored this statue- so painting all those tiny details made me admire it even more. The stern face, flowing robes, sheaths of grain... it looks exactly the way I picture my divine Mama D. 

                                               

Demeter is now dressed in colors to match Her daughter, because of course. I always love placing their statues next to each other, now more than ever. 

Painting my statues is easily one of the ballsiest things I've done in my spiritual practice (handmade Greek statues aren't cheap, guys). It taught me that sometimes you need to throw away tradition in order to dig for a deeper truth. Sometimes you need to risk mistakes. Sometimes you need to think outside the box like a 21st century Pagan priestess. 

Sometimes you need to see your Gods in color. 


~ Rose Eleusis

Comments

Popular Posts