A Poem for Demeter

One of the things that I find most beautiful about Demeter is the ferocity of Her love for Persephone and for all of humankind. I find Her in my kitchen, a warm embrace, the ripening fruits of my garden. And every day I am blessed to call Her my Divine mother.

To counter all the bad representation out there, here’s a poem that I wrote about Demeter’s grief and triumph.

You were my hope in the night

When Zeus tore me open,

Snake scales against my bare skin.


You were a seed that grew in the darkness of my womb.

A flower that sprouted from the dark and choking soil.

I named you Kore Persephone

To remind you that beautiful things can be born from violence.


You were the grief that started droughts and famines.

The love that left me sobbing by the well at Eleusis.

The pain that made the world stop 

Until I bore you again from the dark earth.


You were the child that caused her mother to fight two kings,

And win, smiling. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts